One of the primary ways that a blended learning approach to training can save money is by reducing actual costs. Heartland Dental, the nation’s largest dental support organization, needed to find a new learning solution that would be more compatible with modern workforce needs and ended up saving $18.5 million by switching to the eSSential LMS (read the full case study here).
With over 840 dental practices, 1,300 supported doctors, and 10,000 team members operating in 35 states, its no wonder Heartland Dental is the premier dental support organization. However, effectively training these thousands of dental professionals became an increasing problem.
In the past, Heartland Dental conducted all their training in large, in-person training sessions that took place over multiple days. These sessions carried the weight of several problems, especially once Heartland began growing and scaling their business:
- Attendees were more and more inconvenienced and unenthusiastic about traveling to in-person sessions.
- Attendees missed out on more effective on-the-job training in the office environment they would be working in.
- Opportunities to support ongoing training and networking for team members weren’t readily available.
Keeping track of travel and training expenses became difficult and costly, and ROI data was hard to come by. These sessions, while acclaimed as some of the best training of its kind, weren’t helping Heartland Dental meet the needs of modern learners and working environments, or utilize more effective modern training techniques.
How eSSential LMS Helps
The eSSential LMS was able to meet and exceed Heartland Dental’s needs. Through the LMS, Heartland Dental is able to provide a blended learning approach to training, in which the majority of training is now conducted online, though certain elements are conducted in the dental offices themselves.
- Checklists help keep track of on-the-job training (OJT) completed at trainees’ home base office.
- These checklists also allow Heartland Dental managers to conduct in-office reviews that can be tracked within the system
By moving training to an online environment and utilizing features such as checklists, Heartland has seen:
- Better knowledge retention
- Higher quality, more personalized training
- The unexpected benefit of building office staff relationships
- Scaling back on in-person sessions while also being able to offer training to more people than ever before
In addition to the blended learning training transfer, eSSential was able to integrate with Heartland Dental’s existing HRIS software. As a result, they have been able to take advantage of features to:
- Immediately assign relevant training to new team members
- Assign training based on attributes like location, job function, department, etc
This includes benefits like:
- Cutting down on the amount of time administrators were having to dedicate to manage training assignation, and travel/training logistics and expenses
- Ensuring training is consistent and accurate for each employee
Heartland Dental Saved $18.5 Million With the eSSential LMS
This new, blended learning training approach and shift to eSSential LMS has enabled Heartland Dental to save $18.5 million via saved time and decrease in travel and in-person training costs, as well as offer a better, more personalized learning experience for its dentists and their team members. Heartland plans to grow their network from 1,300 supported dentists to an estimated 5,000 dentists by 2025, and are also on track to increase their team member base from 10,000 to 50,000 by 2025.